This post was inspired and sponsored by Domain.ME, the provider of the personal domains that end in .ME. As a company, they aim to promote thought leadership to the tech world. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It can be very tempting to only show the best side of yourself online, but trust me there is even more power in learning how being authentic online can bring happiness to your life. Sure, that sounds a bit cheesy, but it’s true. Over the course of the last five years as a blogger, I’ve learned just how powerful it can be to be authentic online. It can be really scary at first, putting yourself out there, but in the end it’s actually crazy empowering when you hear the cries of “me too” when you are putting your most vulnerable things out there.
First thing, I will tell you is that I am not a very private person, so some of this came easier to me than it might for you. Having said that I still believe that we should see how being authentic online and in real life can really set you free. It means that you’ve learned to be comfortable in your own skin no matter the situation, and you don’t want to mislead your friends and family online to believe that your life is roses all the time.
Want to learn why it’s so important to be comfortable in your own skin check it out in this blog post, and then head back here for the 7 easy tips to being authentic online so you can brave new territory and be yourself online and in person.
7 Easy Tips to Being Authentic Online
1. Share the Good and the Bad: This doesn’t mean that you have to literally share EVERYTHING that is going on in your life, but make sure to share a good balance of the good and the bad. No one goes through life without a few road bumps, and chances are that someone else can relate to what you are going through. On the flip side, share your successes that way friends and family can cheer you on.
2. Don’t Embellish: Though it can be tempting, don’t go over the top on embellishing your life. If you got a small raise, don’t make it sound like you hit the lottery. People remember those kinds of things and when you see them in person, they’ll think what you said was fact. It might end up in an embarrassing situation if you forgot about your online embellishment and got caught in it in person.
3. Forget Photoshop: NO ONE has a perfect body. NO ONE. This is probably one of the hardest ways to being authentic online. We are all tempted to use Photoshop, or take that photo just at the right angle. Don’t worry about all that mess. Just be you! Your body has brought you this far in life, no reason to try and hide it! Flaunt what you’ve got! It’s not like you will look like that perfect picture in person anyway, because you are human. Just rock being you!
4. Don’t worry about offending someone: This tip comes with a caveat. Don’t be a jerk. If you aren’t being a jerk and being true to yourself don’t worry about being yourself and sharing your opinions. If you were in person you would probably talk about different topics, would you bite your tongue then for fear of offending someone? (That’s assuming we all know the definition of tact) If you are so busy being you, you won’t have to worry about what you say might offend someone. If it does, and you weren’t being a jerk, it never hurts to hear someone out, but don’t let it change who you are.
5. Forget About What Others Think: Most of us are worried about being authentic online because we worry about what others will think if we are. In the age of the Internet we’ve all heard horror stories about trolls leaving awful comments, and I’m not going to lie to you, they are out there. BUT I’ve found that being authentic online and being true to myself has caused a lot more cries of “me too” than it has attracted trolls. Those supportive cries will help you become more comfortable being yourself 24/7 so when the trolls do surface you won’t worry about them anyway!
6. Share Things You Want Everyone to See: Being authentic online can be pretty awesome, especially when you start to see the positivity that you are inspiring in others online. Being one of the first ones in your circle to be brave enough to be you online, is really empowering because you will start to see other friends and family following suit. That has been one of my greatest joys of being authentic online. It also inspires you to share more positive things that get you through the good times and the bad.
7. Keep it Up: It can tempting to slip back into old habits, or just post the glossed over version of your life. Don’t do it! Embrace who you are 24/7 and don’t be afraid to show it. The Internet has become an amazing tool to help people empower themselves to speak their truth all the time, not just in person or when they are trying to impress someone. Be comfortable in your own skin and inspire others!
.ME domain name as the perfect way to being authentic online, grab your own domain name and share the most authentic version of you!
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.