This is a sponsored post on behalf of HSN, but all body positive awesomeness is my own (May contain affiliate links)
You can’t pick up a fashion magazine nowadays without getting tips on how to dress for your body type. Sure, their advice is well meaning, but you want to know the true secrets to how to dress for your body type in a body positive way? This is the post for you. It’s time that we take back our lives, and stop getting advice on our own styles from the outside. You need to trust yourself and have fun exploring what truly is YOUR style! That’s the fun thing about life is that your style is just that, YOURS! It’s time that you rock your awesome, and to help you do that are 8 body positive ways to dress for your body type.
No, this isn’t another one of THOSE fashion posts, but it’s a post to help you love the body that you are in and find a way to really figure out what styles of fashion make you feel amazing. First, and foremost, I will let you know I am not a fashion blogger. Not a fashion guru either. Just a gal that loves having her own sense of style, and finding ways to find clothes and accessories that help me rock that style.
If you are a plus size gal like me, it can be hard to find clothes that make you feel awesome. It’s not because I’m insecure, but because there really aren’t that many retail options that know how to fit a body that isn’t a model body type. My body is definitely not a runway model size, and has it’s wonderful curves, bumps, cellulite, stretch marks, and more. I used to hate that about my body because clothes shopping was so depressing. When I went shopping, I really wanted to find something that looked awesome on me, plus didn’t make me feel like I was 90 years old. I’m a bigger gal, not an old gal. (No moo-moos for this chick)
That’s why when I find some place that gets how to dress body shapes and sizes of all types they have a forever client. Recently, I had a chance to try HSN (you know, Home Shopping Network) and give their plus size fashion line a whirl. Let’s be honest, when you think of Home Shopping Network you think of your grandma in her LazyBoy watching late night television and ordering another piece of costume jewelry she can’t live without, right? Me,too! Well at first.
Here’s the thing, I have to say that HSN is no longer your grandma’s shopping channel. They are definitely up and with the times now. They just helped launch Melissa McCarthy’s new fashion line, Seven7. They also have great plus size fashion lines from Serena Williams and Wendy Williams. Plus, they are hip fashions. They don’t look like something a grandma would wear. Just check me out strutting my stuff in two pieces by Wendy Williams. I wore the top to my trip to The Good Dinosaur and got a million compliments on it immediately! It was great!
Now are you ready to strut your stuff? Grab these eight body positive fashion tips, and then find out how you can grab great pieces from HSN yourself!
8 Body Positive Tips To Dress for Your Body Type:
1. What’s Your Style: The very first question to ask yourself is what is your style? If the answer is ‘I don’t know’, dig a little bit deeper with these questions!
- Do you prefer style over comfort, or comfort over style?
- Do you prefer more dressed up or more casual styles?
- Do you consider yourself trendy, or do you like fashions that will last longer?
2. What’s Your Favorite Colors: Part of finding your style is finding colors you just adore! (and of course colors you can’t stand) For me, I can’t stand orange and yellow, but love hunter greens, cranberries, muted greys, and navy blues. Have fun with this! Finding your favorite colors will also find fun ways to put those colors in your clothes and accessories.
3. What’s Your Favorite Feature: Finding fashion that you love ISN’T about covering up your body and hiding your “flaws”. It’s about accentuating the body parts that you love. At first, there may not be many of them, but be kind to yourself. Just pick one! Find a style that accentuates that part of your body and compliment yourself when you rock your awesome!
4. What Makes You Feel Fabulous: When you try on a new piece of clothes, be kind to yourself. Don’t instantly look for flaws. If you turned off your self critic for just a second, would you feel fabulous in that piece of clothing? If the answer is heck yeah! That is the piece for you. If not, keep looking! You will find something that you love sometimes it just takes time.
5. What Would You Pick If No One Else Cared: This is a tricky one, and a great body positive way to get to know yourself. If no one else in the world cared what you looked like, what would you pick? This is a really weird question when you first start asking it, but trust me it is MAGIC. It helped me go from being body conscious to rocking a bikini at 200 pounds. (which I love by the way) The more you ask this question, the more your self critic shuts the heck up and you can find your favorite styles.
6. What Fashion Do You Love: How many times have you looked in a fashion magazine and seen an outfit that you loved, but just thought “I can’t wear that! It would look awful on my body?!” (Yup, me too!) What if you dared to throw that last thought out the window? Sure, you won’t look like the model in the magazine, but WHO does. We all know even the model in the magazine doesn’t look that way without photoshop. If you love something, try it! Make it your own version! Don’t expect to look like someone else’s body, because you don’t have their body you have YOUR body and it’s ok to rock it! Heck, you might even look better than them!
7. What’s the One Piece You Couldn’t Live Without: Look at your wardrobe right now. What’s the one piece in there that you couldn’t live without? What do you love about it? Is it amazingly comfortable? Does it make you feel sassy? Think about that, and try to find that feeling in a new piece but be a little bit bolder! Have fun with it!
8. What Looks Good On Your Body Type: The all powerful question, what looks good on your body? Want the body positive answer? Do you feel amazing when you put it on? Do you feel more confident when you strut your stuff? Then buy then dang thing! There is no “right” or “wrong” fashion for your body. If it makes you feel amazing, and it helps express who YOU are, then it’s the piece for you.
The clothing from HSN makes me feel amazing. It’s now been added to one of the few places that I trust to help me rock my awesome. It’s super easy to order. Personally, I did find the clothes run a little bit big, so you want to make sure to measure yourself to find the perfect fit, but the quality of the clothes is amazing.
For my wardrobe,I look for items that I can mix and match when many different outfits. I can dress them up or dress them down for a more casual look. The cold shoulder top from Wendy Williams made me feel like a million bucks, and several people gave me compliments on how flattering it looked on me, which definitely helps the ego. The only sad part about HSN is that they do run out of stock, so if you see a piece that you can’t wait to get your hands on you need to order quickly so you don’t end up a sad panda. (Hey, just saw my cute asymetrical skirt from Wendy Williams has ONE left in stock!)
Make sure to check out all of the plus size fashions on HSN here. Even if you aren’t plus sized, they have tons of great fashions for everyone!
It’s super simple to order too! Here’s how!
1. Go to HSN.com, and check out all their plus size fashions! (Psst. New Customers get save $20 off at HSN by clicking here)
2. Check out HSN VIP for easy free returns, exclusive offers, and more! HSN VIPs get more discounts, they are eligible for more easy payment options, plus they never pay any charges when they need to exchange items that they have bought on HSN. It’s a great deal, and could help you save a lot of money. Personally, I signed up for it just so I can get the great discounts, and plan on paying my card off every month so I don’t have to worry about any interest.
3. Add all your favorite fashions to your cart, and choose your payment options: There are so many different options to choose from at HSN.com, but like I mentioned they are ALWAYS changing, so if you love something right now you need to snag it. They do come back in stock, but you aren’t sure when. Like my cute cold shoulder top from Wendy Williams is already gone, which makes this girl sad because I wanted to grab another one in another color. You know I will be stalking the page to see when it comes back in stock too!
Payment options are available as well. You can choose just to grab your plus size fashions and checkout, or you can see if you are eligible for flex pay options. Personally, I love the flex pay options especially around the holidays. It makes you able to buy the hot fashions you love without breaking the bank!
That’s it. You are already to rock your awesome. I can’t wait to hear what your favorite pieces are on HSN.com! It’s also a great time of the year to send subtle hints what you might like during the holidays!
Love this article? Then check out these other great body positive articles too!
- 10 Quick Ways to Spruce up Any Outfit!
- It’s the Little Things that Make You Feel Better About Yourself
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.