Growing up my grandma always used to say that chili was good for the soul because it “stuck to your ribs.” As a kid this was kinda a horrifying idea. Was it kinda like gum that stayed in your stomach for seven years when you swallowed it? As I got older, I realized it just meant that it kept you full on those cold winters nights. This turkey crockpot chili is a fantastic recipe that has delicious peppers, chilis, onions that will keep you warm when it’s a bit frosty out. My family love using ground turkey to lighten this dish up a little bit, and we add some fresh vegetables as a great way to sneak in veggies into the kids’ diets. (They don’t even notice them, and for that matter Mr. Crunchy doesn’t either)
For those of you new to the site, you will realize that I LOVE recipes that are simple and delicious. Every now and then I get a little squirrely and make something a little bit more complicated, but for the most part they are simple fix em and forget ’em kind of recipes. This crockpot chili is no exception. Just do the prep in the morning, and then simmer it on low all day for a delicious chili recipe that the whole family is sure to love.
I will share with you in our house we have a great chili war going on. Mr. Crunchy hates beans, and I cannot stand the thought of an all meat chili bleh. In an effort to compromise, this recipe has just enough beans for bean lovers and not too much for those that like a little bit more of a meaty chili. If you like beans, feel free to add another can (or about another cup of dry beans) to the chili. If I had my way, that’s what I would do!Print
Turkey Crockpot Chili that Sticks to Your Ribs
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 7
- Category: Entree
- 1 32 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Pounds Ground Turkey
- 2 C Dry Kidney Beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 Green Pepper Diced
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Diced
- 1-2 Cans 16 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1-2 T Chili Powder
- 2 T Cumin
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- In a pan, brown the ground turkey and set aside.
- In another pan, heat olive oil and sautee onion, garlic and pepper until slightly tender
- Place all ingredients and spices in crockpot. Cook on low for approximately 4-6 hours.
- When mixing ingredients together, if chili is too thick at water tablespoons at a time. If chili is too thin, take top off of chili and allow to reduce until desired thickness.
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.