Recently found out that my mom is already starting to struggle with bone loss even though she isn’t even sixty years old yet. That’s really young to start worrying about bone loss, but it got me to thinking about how my family is on getting the amount of calcium we need into our daily diet. That’s when this mama went into action, and started digging into 7 facts every woman (and teen) needs to know about calcium.
We really love eating a lot of dairy in this house, so I figured we didnt have anything to worry about when it came to getting the right amount of calcium. Since I’ve begun to eat gluten free, dairy has really taken up a large part of my diet. Cheese, cheese and more cheese thank you. We are like most families, we do our best to eat a well balanced diet. Lots of fruits and veggies, but the occassional bag of Cool Ranch Doritos jumps in our carts too.
That’s why we’ve been looking at a lot of calcium supplements and how we can make sure that the girls and I are getting the amount of calcium we need to make sure we aren’t dealing with bone loss issues at a young age like my mom. It’s all funny joking about a fractured hip until it really happens to you. Then it’s just pain and medical bills.
9 Facts Every Woman Needs to Know About Calcium
1. Women need 1000 mg of daily calcium, while teen girls need 1300 mg of daily calcium to meet recommended daily requirements of calcium.
2. Vitamin D is necessary for your bones to asorb calcium. So if you get Vitamin D deficient like I do, you might not be getting as much calcium as you think.
3. Vitamin K that works together with Vitamin D for optimal calcium absorption and bone density
4. When kids are still growing is when they need the most amount of calcium. Not getting enough calcium even at this young age can cause osteoperosis later in life.
5. According to WebMD, Calcium also plays a vital role in these body functions:
- Nerve signal transmission
- Hormone release
- Muscle contraction
- Blood vessel function
- Blood clotting
6. You can decrease your risk of developing osteoporosis by getting 1,000 mg of calcium, 200 international units (IU) of vitamin D for adults under 50, and at least 30 minutes of weight-bearing exercise per day.
7. If your body is not getting enough calcium it begins to take it from the bones, decreasing bone mineral density which can eventually lead to osteopenia and osteoporosis.
8. The majority of Americans do not receive the amount of calcium needed daily based on diet alone – around 68% of women are calcium deficient.
9. One of the most important things to know is that it’s never too late to start thinking about your bone health. Having my mom tell me she was already showing signs of bone loss was a real wake up call for me. That’s why I looked into getting a good calcium supplement for myself and my daughters. My youngest daughter has a dairy allergy, so we had already been concerned about the levels of calcium she was getting.
Viactiv is a great way to get more calcium in your diet. Unlike other calcium supplements where you have to swallow a large pill, these you can just pop into your kids lunches and the chocolate chews disappear! Give them another one at bed time, and they are getting the right amount of calcium every day. Like with any supplement, we made sure to talk to our doctors about taking them before we started them, but we like the fact we can know even when we aren’t getting as much calcium as we should through our food we have an easy calcium supplement to take should we need it.
If you guys want to try Viactiv, there is also a great Viactiv coupon here for $2 off your first box! Viactiv is part of the three keys to healthy bones:
- Obtaining an adequate daily dose of calcium from your diet
- Regular bone strengthening exercises–#BeActiv
- Supplementing when diet is not enough
Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews are available in milk chocolate and caramel flavors at major retailers including CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walgreens and Walmart, as well as supermarkets nationwide. Save $2 on your next in-store purchase with the Viactiv printable coupon.
This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation on behalf of Viactiv that contains affiliate links. I received Viactiv products for my own personal use. All opinions, text and experiences are my own.