How to Clean Your Room Quickly, AND make it stay that way?! Sounds like a pipe dream doesn’t it! Personally, cleaning all the time is not my idea of good time so it falls under the things we “have to do.” That’s why learning how to clean your room quickly (we’re talking in under 15 minutes flat) is where it’s at. That leaves you time in the do to do important things like drink wine or binge on Netflix or something!
Usually my housekeeping skills fall under “there appears to have been a struggle.” Take that ADD meets OCD cleaning habits of mine and throw in fibromyalgia and I’ve had to learn to let things go and/or make them so efficient even Harry Potter couldn’t clean his room faster than me. My motto now is fast and efficient. Do as little as possible as fast as possible to conserve as much energy as possible. Even if you aren’t a spoonie, what burnt out mom couldn’t use some tips on how to clean your room quickly (and help it to stay that way as well!)
When I was a kid, my room was NEVER clean. I think my parents eventually gave up on me. There would be viscious cycles of OCD, everything alphabetized my color and letter clean, to ADD the floor is a catch all;”is there dead body under your bed” or are you auditioning for hoarders “clean.” There’s really never been an in between for me.
I’m not susie merry sunshine, but one thing that having fibromyalgia has taught me is to find the bright side in everything. Even if it’s the smallest thing. One of the biggest positives of my chronic illness is that I’ve had to put cleaning tips in place that work. Not something that you do once and then stop doing and you go back to old habits. I’ve had to declutter my home, and put practical cleaning tips in place that are easy to keep up with so my house stays relatively clean.
Before we get started, there’s a few prep tips for you. If you look like your room belongs on an episode hoarders, you should start with these posts first! I mean this gal gives good tips, but even the Gods didn’t build the Earth in one day!
7 Ways to Declutter Your Home in 15 Minutes a Day
Declutter Your House with 2 Simple Questions
Now let’s get to how to clean your room quickly, and help it stay that way! You’ll wonder how it was possible to get your room this messy in the first place!
How to Clean Your Room Quickly (And Help it Stay That Way)
Prep: Prepping is the single most powerful weapon when figuring out how to clean your room quickly! Getting a game plan and gathering all your materials before you start is key! Here’s some questions you should ask yourself.
- How much time do I have to clean?
- What is the biggest thing in this room driving me bonkers?
- Have I decluttered everything that I can?
- Does everything have a home? (ie a permanent place it goes in your room)
- What catch all spots can I eliminate? (You know the dresser top, the junk drawer things like that)
Set Your Goals: It may seems silly to set “cleaning goals,” but if you find what is the most important to you you’ll be more likely to get it done. Here are some goal ideas:
- Get everything off the floor and put away
- Clear off all the surfaces of clutter
- Deep clean (ie. windows, blinds, mirrors)
- Get more organized
Set Up a Process (or Two): Yeah, yeah, yeah sounds boring, but I’m telling you this shit works. One step at a time, if you set up a “process” of how you do things the chaos in your room will slowly calm down. WTH is a process. I’ll give you my example. Personally, I’m the queen of losing it all. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked the kids where my keys are to find them in my hand, or my purse, or some other obvious place. So, now as SOON as I enter the house, there is a basket that I toss my key in each and every single time. This way, no more lost keys!
The same thing goes when you are trying to figure out how to clean your room quickly. Little by little you have less mess to clean up, and your sanity shall return (well at least to the best it can return to you). Here are a few of the tricks we use in our bedroom.
- Put a clothes basket by the door. Every night make sure all clothes are either put away or in the basket (literally takes 2 minutes)
- Allow only ONE catch all in the bedroom, and it must be a drawer or something that is not out in the open. (This helps your room not look cluttered)
- Stage bedding. Put bedding together in sets. That way when you change the sheets, you have everything you need; pillowcases, flat sheet, fitted sheets, and then old sheets can go straight into the laundry room.
- Hanging Clothes: Hanging all my clothes makes it so much easier to keep my room clean, plus it makes it way easier for me to find something to wear.
- Ten minutes speed clean: On days I’m feeling ok, I pick one area of the bedroom and do a ten minute speed clean. That means dusting really quickly, or vacuuming, or wiping down my mirrors. Do that about 1 time a week as you think about it and you won’t have do as much of a deep clean later on!
15 Minute Speed Clean (The Grand Finale): Now that you know what bothers you the most about your room, and what you want to accomplish it’s time to get to work! Just keep in mind it didn’t take two seconds for your house to become a big ole mess, so don’t be hard on yourself or eye roll that “this crap doesn’t work”. Trust me it does! Just start small, stay consistent, and get rid of the crap that keeps accumulating. Little steps forward a little bit at a time become GIGANTIC steps and less stress, less clutter, and less chaos in your life. And all three things of those are a fabulous thing! Here’s the run down of the 15 minute speed clean I do once a week:
- Put all clothes in clothes bin. Do Laundry on Laundry Day (that’s Monday for me) : 30 Seconds
- Make bed (if bed linens are clean) or strip bed and remake with staged bedding.: 2 Minutes
- Clear off all surfaces and wipe down (if you aren’t feeling up to putting things away use your one junk place, but set a date on your calendar you are going to go through your junk drawer and declutter): 5 Minutes
- Wipe down mirrors : 2 Minutes
- Vacuum: 3 Minutes
- Dust Light Fixtures/ Ceiling Fans: 2 Minutes
And you’re done in under 15 minutes! If you’re house is total chaos, make sure to check out the declutter tips I shared earlier to help you prep and get rid of crap that is just taking up space and causing you to lose your damned mind. Trust me stuff that just sits there isn’t the key to your happiness, getting rid of clutter, taking less time doing chores, and freeing up your time to do what really blows your skirt up. THAT is the key to happiness!
Now what are you waiting for? Do you think you know how to clean your room quickly? What cleaning tips make your house sparkle?