How to make colored sugar is probably one of the EASIEST things to do! Colored sugar is a great way to decorate cakes, cookies, and other sweet treats, but it can be SO expensive to buy at the store. One small little bottle can run upwards of $3!
Once you see how easy it is to make your own, you will wonder why you ever bought it at the store. It takes less than five minutes to make your own colored sugar, and it’s easy to store it in an airtight dry container for later use!
My family and I started making our own colored sugar a few years ago, when times were tight. The kids and I were bored and started playing around in the kitchen. A few tries later, we figured out how to make it and also some really neat colors to create as well.
As a homeschool mom, I love having my kids in the kitchen because it teaches them so many things! They learn math, creativity, chemistry, and the best part is they don’t realize that they are “learning”. If I mention the word school, my kids shut down so we do a lot of activities in the kitchen to sharpen those skills right underneath their little noses.Print
How to Make Your Own Colored Sugar
Great tips on how to make your own colored sugar. Plus great color combination suggestiosn
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Cuisine: Condiments
- Coarse sugar
- Food Coloring
- In a small bowl measure out one cup of coarse sugar.
- Add food coloring 2-3 drops at a time until you reach the desired color.
- Allow to set in open air for about an hour to make sure mixture is completely dry.
- Store in a tight/dry air sealed container for later use.
- Blue: 4-5 Drops of Blue Food Coloring
- Purple: 4-5 Drops of Blue Food Coloring and 2-3 Drops of Red Food Coloring
- Orange: 2-3 Drops of Red Food Coloring and 3-4 Drops of Yellow Food Coloring
- Rose: 2-3 Drops of Red Food Coloring
- Green: 2-3 Drops of Blue Food Coloring 3-4 Drops of Yellow Food Coloring
Leave a Reply