“I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for Anheuser-Busch’s Family Talk About Drinking Program. I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”
As kids get older, we have the fun tasks of talking to your kids about drinking. I already shared 9 talking tips to talk to your kids about drinking (make sure to read that post here) That gives you an idea of how to get the conversation started! Now with my help and the help of the Family Talk website, you can know exactly what to ask your kids when trying to see how much they know about the pressures of drinking.
We are blessed in our family that we homeschool and don’t deal with nearly as much peer pressure, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t deal with it. Prom and graduation season is here, and my eldest daughter has friends that are starting to go to those events. There’s a chance one day that she might go too, and I want to make sure that she feels prepared to deal with peer pressure and knows how drinking can affect her and her choices.
To help her navigate the field of prom and graduations we chatted with her with these questions. It’s really important to make sure the conversation isn’t conforntational, and you check out the 9 talking tips to make sure you and your teen get the most out of the talk. Now check out my questions to give you a head start
10 Questions to Ask Your Teen About Drinking
- What Would You Do If Someone Offered You a Drink?
- You go to prom, and someone is pressuring you to drink. What would you say?
- How do you feel about drinking at a young age?
- If someone you are with starts to drink, how would you handle that situation?
- If you figured out that someone you were with had already been drinking and was about to drive you what would you do?
- How ready would you feel to tell your friends how you feel about drinking?
- What kind of worries do you have about your friends and drinking?
- Do you ever wonder if you would be brave enough to stand up for yourself in a peer pressure situation?
- What have you heard your friends saying about drinking?
- What types of situations would you try to avoid to avoid dangerous situations?
These questions are just a few that my daughter and I talked about during our alcohol talk. They are all open ended questions, and there are no right or wrong answers! We also got a lot of help by looking at the Family Talk website. It’s a great website I’ve shared with you before, but it really warrants talking about again. It’s a great resource for parents and teens. In the last few decades there have been a 20% increase in parental influence on teen drinking which is awesome. More parents need to take charge and have open conversations with their kids about topics like this!
Anheusser-Busch has had a great program for the last 20 years to help families talk about drinking. They promote open ended discussions between kids and parents, and help parents learn how to hold their kids accountable for their choices! It’s a really amazing resource. To learn more about the website, you can check it out here:
- FTAD Website: http://www.familytalkaboutdrinking.com
- FTAD Parent Guide
- FTAD Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ABFamilyTalk
Make sure to also check out this post to get the conversation started!
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.