This post was inspired and sponsored by Domain.ME, the provider of the personal domains that end in .ME. As a company, they aim to promote thought leadership to the tech world. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Be comfortable in your own skin. It can be a really scary thought! With the Internet at the tip of our fingers it can be really tempting to put the “optimal” you out there, but there is so much more power in being authentic online. Sure, Pinterest images are great to look at and to inspire you, but most people equally enjoy Pinterest fails because that is what we truly relate to.
I built the Quirky Inspired community, so all the quirky peeps of the universe had a place they knew they could get real, authentic advice and stories. That’s why I write how I talk, and share videos with you on bad fibromyalgia days, bad hair days, and bad life days in general. Sure, there are times that my life involves the red carpet, but there are a lot more times when it involves spending the day in bed streaming Netflix all day and eating junk food. (My favorite past time by the way)
It can be so tempting to put the shiny version of you on social media, but I’m telling you it’s a lot more empowering to share the authentic you and to learn how to be comfortable in your own skin! For me, it’s helped me overcome self esteem issues and find true happiness. When I decided to become a blogger, I decided that I wasn’t going to be one version online and one version in person. What you read on the blog is what I am in real life, and I’m proud of that.
Personally, I’ve never understood why people put a perfect version of them online when they will meet people in person. Why the heck would you want to have someone think you are one thing, and then when they meet you in person they are shocked you are so different. Don’t know about you, but if someone doesn’t like my flavor of awesome, I would much rather that they discover that before meeting me in person than rejecting me to my face.
Little by little sharing the real me has made me accept who I am and that rocking my awesome is ok. There are always going to be people out there that appreciate you for who you are and celebrate your quirks. Not everyone has to like everyone. It’s ok to be different, as long as you are being authentic.
It’s been a long journey, but there are many ways you can learn to be comfortable in your own skin and be authentic online. It can be really scary at first, but it’s totally empowering! Trust me, coming from the gal that shared a bikini picture of herself in front of 80,000 people on social media!
6 Ways to Be Authentic Online and Be Comfortable in Your Own Skin
1. Finding Encouragement: Sharing in safe places online, IE body positive groups or inspirational groups, can be a great place to start! Finding others putting themselves out there will make you more likely for you to be authentic online and put yourself out there too. Plus, the positive messages they give you in return will help you feel comfortable in your own skin.
2. Finding Your Tribe of Weirdos: The more you share who you are online, the more you find people that appreciate your brand of weird. Whether it’s the funny memes that you share, or personal stories you put out there, being authentic will help you find people that appreciate you for who you are.
3. Finding Your Voice: After so many years of being afraid to be yourself, being authentic online can help you find your voice. For me, writing and having a blog has done that. there were so many years that I didn’t know who I was anymore, but through writing and art I’ve been able to find my voice.
4. Practice Standing Up For Yourself: Any time you put yourself out there online, there is always a chance of people being negative. Rather than letting that scare you from your truth, it teaches you to stand up for yourself. You learn to pick your battles and even learn to stand up for yourself in person as well. Just remember the negativity says a lot more about the people spewing it than about you.
5. Recognizing You are Human: For some reason, we tend to think of weaknesses as flaws, something to be fixed. You might be shocked at things that you think are weaknesses are common things that other people share too. No one is perfect, and it’s nice when you put yourself out there to find that a lot of your friends might struggle with things you struggle with too. That’s why I share my fibromyalgia diagnosis or my struggle with depression. There’s never a time that I want people to think that my life is always roses. I’ve learned to become comfortable in my own skin despite the blips in my life. That happened when I realized that I am human and not meant to be perfect.
6. Road to Happiness: Learning to accept yourself as you are right now is the first step to finding your happiness. Being authentic all the time, though it is a bumpy road, is honestly the only way to be happy in my book. It can be hectic, scary, and chaotic but slowly but surely you rise from the rubble and learn that you do love yourself and all your “weaknesses” can become some of the things you actually love about yourself the most. Me? I love the fact I can find a dirty inuendo in pretty much every situation 😉
It can be really scary to learn how to be comfortable in your own skin. It can even be tempting to paint a photoshopped version of your life online. Rather than subcoming to those temptations spend the time loving who you are, and taking time each and every day to rock your awesome!
Domain.ME knows how important it is to be authentic! Get a .ME domain name today to ensure you are the real ME online! Are you ready to be comfortable in your own skin, if so, comment below on how you stay authentic online.
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.