I never thought I would be geeking out over the benefits of soft water, but the first time you get water that smells like egg (hello, sulfur) or rust (hello, iron) you are sure to get excited. There are so many great benefits of soft water that make it better for your family and better for your wallet, too! Did you know that softened water can save you hundreds of dollars a year? Think of all the fun adventures you could have with that kind of extra cash!
When we moved into the home we live in now, we didn’t realize that we had well water. When we finally realized it, we also realized that there was hard water stains everywhere; the side of the house, the dishwasher, the sinks, the toilets, EVERYWHERE. On top of that, when we took baths or showers we left smelling like rust. Eau de iron is not exactly the statement that I wanted to be making when making a first impression.
We also noticed our dishes were spotty, nothing seemed to get cleaned well, and we couldn’t even drink our water because it tasted awful. It was a really frustrating situation. That’s why we decided to get a home water softener system to make sure our water was back to being top notch. Check out this video about some of the awesome benefits of soft water!
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that hard water is just a well water problem. Even those of you on city water can have hard water too! Wondering if you have hard water? Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do your dishes have spots on them?
2. Does soap never seem to wash off?
3. Have you noticed your clothes aren’t getting as clean?
4. Does your water smell like eggs or rust?
5. Do your household appliances and fixtures have stains in them?
If you answered yes to any of these, you should order a free Morton Salt hard water test strip! It’s this neat strip that shows you the pH of your water and lets you know just how hard, or soft, your water is. We used it on our water, and let’s just say I was shocked how hard our water is. After using Morton salt in our home water softening system, our water is back to normal.
Don’t think hard water is a problem? Well, without you knowing it, it could be costing your hundreds of dollars a year. That’s why I am going to share nine ways the benefits of soft water can save you hundreds of dollars. It’s already saved us that much and more in the 2 years that we have lived here.
6 Benefits of Soft Water That Will Save Hundreds of Dollars
1. Extends appliance life: Hard water is really hard on your appliances. Washers, dishwashers, bathtubs, fixtures all begin to collect hard water deposits and that ends up ruining them. You could end up spendings hundreds a year in replacing or maintaining your appliances. That’s why soft water rocks. It’s not as rough on your appliances.
2. Soap, soap, soap: When your water is hard, soaps and cleansers aren’t as effective. You end up using 2-3 times more soap and detergent to get the job done, and it’s still not usually done as well. Soft water means less soap used which means more dollars in your wallet.
3. Extends the life of your dishes: Hard water slowly, but surely, deposits mineral scale on your dishes. Eventually this scale won’t come out. When you soften your water, it helps extends the life of your dishes so you don’t have to keep replacing them.
4. Lowers your heating costs: Did you know that hard water takes more energy to heat? Yup! That means it costs you more to heat your water, plus it leaves scale in your hot water heater eventually leading to you having to replace yet another appliance. On top of that, when you are cooking, it will take more time for your water to boil. Softened water saves you money on your water heating costs!
5. Increases the life of your clothes: Because detergents don’t work as well, it means hard water really affects clothing. They become duller and more dingy faster! That means you have to replace them. Soft water saves you money by making sure the detergents do their jobs. Thus, you don’t have to replace your clothing as often.
6. Increases the life of your hair color: As a gal that loves to color her hair, I get super frustrated how fast my hair color fades in hard water. It really affects my hair coloring. The mineral build up causes the color to fade faster and faster. That’s one of my favorite benefits of soft water; I don’t have to worry as much about it making my hair color fade that means less trips to the salons!
Now that you know how much softened water rocks, what are you waiting for? Order your free Morton Salt Water test strips, and see what kind of water you have! It could save you hundreds of dollars every single year!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.