We have an evil lurking monster that lives in our house, and I am sure it lives in your house too. It’s the dreaded Mount Saint Laundry monster. It doesn’t matter just how much that you try to battle the beast it just seems to resist being slayed. Well, I have a little secret for you guys. You really can slay the beast, and I am going to share with you how we get it done in our house.
Unless you are an ultimate weirdo, and if you are I still love you anyway, you hate laundry. Here’s a tip for free. Train your kids EARLY how to do laundry if it’s the bane of your existence. (That tip right there is one you should write down) Now onto what made me go from hating laundry to loving doing it. You are going to think I am totally weird now, but the ONE and only thing that has made me love doing laundry is finding a laundry detergent that I LOVE. You know the kind you just want to sit in a corner and sniff and think happy thoughts (totally don’t do this, it’s not good for you folks) Smells totally freak me out, so knowing that the laundry detergent I am going to use is going to make my clothes smell AHMAZING makes me actually look forward to having clean clothes!
Simple Green has this kick butt detergent out. We had a chance to check out the Sunshine Fresh Simple Green Laundry Detergent, and we were quite impressed how it worked out for our family. We have to be really careful what laundry detergent we use because of our daughter Bayla. While it’s not something I would recommend for those with sensitive skin it is one of the better detergents I have found to work in our hard water plus it uses coconut fat and natural enzymes to help clean your laundry. It did a really good job getting the stink out of even the stinkiest of my husband and son’s socks.
Now to the good stuff. Here’s my top ten tips to kick Mount Saint Laundry in the Butt!!
1. Train your Kids to do Laundry (YOUNG!) Is your kid still in diapers, who cares? Have them help you with the laundry. As they get older, add a little bit more responsibility, and by the time they are 11 or 12 guess who will be doing the laundry! Just think of all that “responsibility” training they are getting for real life. They might even thank you for it.
2. Make it a Routine: Find a routine that works for your family and stick to it. In our house, each family member is in charge of bringing their own laundry hampers downstairs. If they don’t do that, their clothes don’t get washed. It will take only a few times having to wear crusty underwear before they will remember to get it down to the wash.
3. Set Timers: One way to get backed up is to not remember to switch the laundry. When you put stuff in the wash, set an alarm so you know to go down to check. This way you can know when to go down and get the loads done you need to. (Plus, no more “soured” laundry)
4. Check the Washer/Dryer Before you Go to Bed: Each and every night get in a cycle of having the washer and dryer ready to go for the next morning. Don’t leave stuff in the wash over night forcing you to have to wash it again when you get up. Get in the habit of emptying your clothes hamper before bed so you can double check to make sure the washer and dryer and empty and open, ready for the next day.
5. Get a GOOD Laundry Detergent: If your clothes don’t smell clean coming out of the wash, it just ends up making more laundry. Find a great laundry detergent like Simple Green Laundry detergent that leaves your clothes smelling amazing.
6. Know Your Water: It’s really important to know what kind of water you have, especially if you are on well water like we are. The harder the water, the less likely your laundry detergent is going to work. There are many places that will test your water for free, and then you can look up tips on how to wash clothes in your water type.
7. Vinegar is your Best Friend: Want a more natural way to soften your fabric? Then use 1/4 cup of vinegar to your laundry. It’s great for people with sensitive skin (like our Bayla) plus it’s better for the environment and it’s frugal too!
8. Mystery Sock Stash: Created a place, ONE place to put the mismatch socks. Then once a week make sure to pair all the mismatch socks with their matches. If you can’t find a match in 2 weeks. Put the sock in the craft sock pile and use them for fun crafts around the house.
9. Air It Out: Unless a piece of clothing really stinks, air it out. Yep, the queen of smell is telling you to wash less. Unless its something like bras, socks, and underwear, most clothes can go a wear or two before they truly need to be washed. It will help with the laundry piles, plus it will also help your clothes last longer as well.
10. If All Else Fails: If the previous 9 tips don’t help you slay the beast, forget it. You’ve lost the battle. Have a bonfire and drink a martini and watch that sucker burn. (Thus the “how to survive” part of the blog post title)
Simple Green is having an ultimate contest! When you enter the #SimpleGreenSelfie contest you can enter to win LG ultra large capacity high efficiency, front loading washer and dryer set featuring LG’s Stream Technology. (I own this set, and it’s the bestest EVER) PLUS, they also picking a winning photo each day to receive a $50 GAP gift card (we know it ultimately means more laundry, but who couldn’t use more clothes?).
Click here to find out how to officially enter to win the LG Washer and Dryer, plus you can also get a HOT Simple Green Coupon here.
I’m still laughing! Thanks for the great post. Glad to know our home isn’t the only home with a monster in the basement!!