This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser #kefircreations. All opinions are mine alone
There’s just something about waking up in the morning to the moist, delicious smell of warm blueberry crumble muffins that make my day. When it comes to breakfast, our family has to think of creative ways to get every one to eat, and as the mom I have to find creative ways to sneak “healthy stuff” like probiotics into my kids’ diet.
Our family has really been trying to eat better lately. I got my first naughty cholesterol report from the doctor recently, and it really made me think about the food choices that we were making. Life is always moving so fast that sometimes we get really lazy about cooking. (Take out anyone?) That’s why I’ve been working on developing recipes that are easy to make, can be made in big batches, and can be prepped ahead of time for quick and easy meals.
On our journey to becoming healthier, we recently got some great advice from my daughter’s allergist at the Mayo Clinic. Her doctor recently talked about the powers of probiotics. See, she’s from India, and there they believe that a lot of the immune system is in the gut, and proper digestion is a really big part of staying healthy. Though people seem to turn up their noses at other countries’ medical advice, I think it’s kind of funny that probiotics are making the rounds here in America. We’ve been giving my daughter with allergies probiotics, and we have noticed a big difference in her allergic reactions.
Since Bayla has been doing so well on probiotics, I decided to start giving my other kids probiotics too. That’s where these blueberry crumble muffins come in. Instead of milk, I use Lifeway Kefir Lowfat Cultured Milk Smoothies in the batter. They are full of probiotics and I love cooking with them. The kids get a yummy breakfast, plus they get a great dose of probiotics to help them keep healthy tummies.
The other thing that rocks about Lifeway Kefir smoothies is that their milk comes from cows that are not treated with pesticides, antibiotics, or synthetic growth hormones. The cows are grass fed and GMO free! We’ve really been trying to eat more dairy that isn’t treated with hormones, plus GMO free is an added bonus.
Lifeway Kefir Milk smoothies have tons of benefits, and they are SO easy to cook with. We’ve made popsicles, smoothies, and now these muffins. Plus, the kids even enjoy drinking it straight. My kids aren’t super picky but they will totally be honest with me if something tastes like crud. (I wonder where they get that blunt honesty from?) When I tell you that a recipe is 100% Crunchy kid approved you can be assured that they have been tested by some pretty tough critics!
Tastebuds Activitate: Blueberry Crumble Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-14
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil + 1 Tbsp
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (divided)
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter (very cold)
- 1 cup Lifeway Kefir Probiotics Blueberry Smoothie
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 dry pint blueberries (divided)
- •Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Line 12 cup muffin pan (or spray with nonstick spray)
- In a large bowl add the flour, cane sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and baking powder
- Adding a little bit at a time, add the eggs, Kefir probiotic, olive oil, and vanilla only until combined (don’t overmix)
- If batter seems dry, add more Kefir one tablespoon at a time
- Fold in 3/4 of the dry pint, leaving some to place on top of muffins
- In another bowl, place the 1/4 c brown sugar.
- With your fingers add cubed cold butter, and combine
- In a greased muffin pan, place batter to the top.
- Sprinkle leftover blueberries on top of the muffins, and then top with brown sugar crumble mixture.
- Place in oven at 425 for five minutes, and then lower to 375 for an additional 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving
- Topping Directions
- •Put sugar, light brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix
- •Use your fingers to work the butter into the dry mixture. Keep working until most of the dry is worked into the butter
- •Add to the muffins, then baked for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
If you want to give Lifeway Kefir Milk smoothies a try, here’s a handy dandy Lifeway Kefir coupon good at your local store! Trust me this stuff is the bomb.
If you love these Blueberry Crumble Muffins you will also love this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Crumble!
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get the latest recipes, tips, motivational articles, and crazy stories delivered straight to your inbox.