Whether you are going on a quick weekend getaway or traveling for months for work, it’s always nice to have some comforts of home with you. In the last few months, I’ve been to British Columbia, Los Angeles, New York City, and a few local trips. It’s been great to explore the wide world, but after a while you really start to get home sick. It’s not like I miss the husband, it’s more like I miss my big fluffy pillows and my Sleep Number Bed. (Ok, I miss the husband too). These easy travel tips will help you bring a little bit of home with you when you travel. (Plus, you can find out how you can bring a little comfort of home to a US military personnel)
Everytime I travel, the first night sleeping in a strange place is always so hard. For the longest time, I would get next to no sleep and look like the walking dead. When you are traveling for work, that really is the best way to make a great first impression. Hello, I’m Ashley, and I am professional, but only look half dead. I promise!
Over the years, I’ve learned a few tips about bringing the comforts of home with me. It’s been such a big help to feel more at home while I am on the road. It makes the world of difference, and it makes the transition back home that much easier.
I feel really lucky that I can use easy travel tips like these to bring a little bit of home with me, but for our service members overseas, it’s not that easy. It’s not like they can pack their favorite pillow and blankie with them when duty calls.
That’s why Marie Callender’s is relaunching their Comforts from Home project. They are teaming up with HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel to air special episodes of my favorite shows (hello, Yard Crashers). These great networks are teaming up with the USO to support USO Operation Celebration! Being a navy brat, and a marine wife it warms my heart that they are teaming up to make a difference in our military lives. They do so much for us, and welcoming them home with a big celebration is the least we can do.
You can join in on the fun, by submitting your best pictures to the Comforts from Home Facebook challenge. You can find this challenge on the Travel Channel, HGTV, and Food Network Facebook pages! Here’s what you have to do:
1. Take a photo, and use the hashtag #comfortsfromhome
- Your photos may be featured on these shows:
- Kitchen Crashers on DIYNetwork & HGTV – Airing 11/9 and 11/14
- American Heroes on The Travel Channel – Airing 11/9 at 10pm EST with an encore on 11/24 at 9 am EST
- Guy’s Grocery Games on Food Network & Cooking Channel — Airing 12/14 and 12/19
2. For each photo received, Scripps Network will donate $1 (up to $10k)!
This is the photo I would use. It’s a picture of my girls snuggling in my bed with me after my five day trip to New York City this summer. They missed me so much they need some mommy time!
You can also get involved when you scan any of your participating Marie’s purchase. Each code gives more money to the Comforts from Home program. Last year they were able to donate $250,000 to our troops through this program. Hopefully this year will be even better! The more you buy, the more you scan, the more they donate!
Now that you are a rock star and have helped our service members, make sure you take care of yourself when you travel. These easy travel tips will make it easier to bring comforts from home on your next trip!
5 Ways to Bring Comforts of Home With You When You Travel
1. Pack Your Favorite Snack: I’m a foodie through and through. Packing one of my favorite snacks always makes me feel at home. Put it in single serving ziploc bags, and they are super easy to get to and store in your carryon.
2. Pack Super Comfy Sleep Wear: Packing my super fluffy slipper socks always makes me feel more at home, plus it’s so much better than walking around barefoot on hotel room floors! If slipper socks aren’t your thing, bring your favorite comfy jammies.
3. Pack Your Favorite Pampering Items: If you crave long hot showers with your favorite body wash, or your favorite essential oils, bring them. Pick a routine that you do at home and bring the items that help you with that routine. For me, I am a sucker for baths, so I always pack my essential oils and epsom salts so after a long hard day I can unwind in the tub.
4. Pack Your Favorite Memories: Even though you may or may not be with your family, pack your favorite memories. In the digital age, it’s so much easier to bring pictures with you. Load your phone up with some of your favorite moments with your friends and family. If you are getting a bit lonely, then you have these fun memories to look over to keep you happy until you head back home.
5. Pack Your Digital Devices: When you can’t bring family members with you on travel, the next best thing you can do is pack your digital devices. It’s almost as good as having them there. Facetime, Skype, Facebook chat brings you closer to your family when you aren’t able to get there in person.
Just because you are traveling doesn’t mean you have to leave all the comforts of home, well, at home. Life is an adventure and home is part of who you are. That’s why you make sure to follow these easy travel tips and bring a little bit of home with you! Plus, make sure to help bring a little bit of home to our military personal with the Marie Callender’s Comforts from Home project!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Marie Callender’s. The opinions and text are all mine.