Green Spring Cleaning
Spring is one of those times that it just feels great to dust things off, and get out the clutter from your home. Spring is about renewal and the world coming awake again, so it’s nice for your home to feel like it’s getting a fresh start too.
This isn’t any ordinary spring cleaning article. Want to help the environment as well? Then this is your list. 10 great tips for easy green spring cleaning. It’s also a great way to save money on your spring cleaning too. Buying all those cleaners can get expensive. Why not, kill two birds with one stone and save money while you are making non-toxic cleaners to use?!
Springtime is the perfect time to reduce, reuse, recycle. As you are starting out on your annual spring cleaning, keep these things in mind! Of course, I am not going to leave you to figure it out on your own. There’s even a free spring cleaning printable checklist at the end of this post to make it a cinch. (Don’t forget to recycle it when you are done!)
10 Tips for Easy Green Spring Cleaning
1.Have a game plan: Before you start cleaning, take a few minutes to write down what your goal is this year. Is it to reduce the clutter? Is it to just have a place to put everything? Do you simply want to organize what you have? If you have an idea of what you want to get done this year, it will make the cleaning that much easier! Check out the great green spring cleaning free printable at the end of this post to make this job even easier!
2. Reuse it, donate it, or recycle it: Instead of just throwing everything away this year, ask yourself these three things. Can I reuse it? Can I donate it? Can I recycle it? If you can answer yes to any of these questions, make sure to do that instead of it hitting the trash can. You just might be amazed how little actual trash you have.
3. Use green cleaners and save big: This year make sure to use great homemade vinegar based cleaners when you clean. It’s a great way to save lots of money, and it also keeps harsh chemicals out of the environment. Here are some really great green cleaners:
- Homemade Carpet Powder
- Vinegar Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Vinegar Shower Cleaner
- Vinegar Window Cleaner/Multipurpose Cleaner (Just use straight vinegar with a few drops of your favorite essential oil!)
4. Knock it out one room at a time: Whatever your goal is for spring cleaning, make sure to finish one room before moving into the next room! This way you know the room is done, and you don’t have to go back and forth which wastes time.
5. Garage Sale, Baby: For those items that might be of value, but you no longer really use, put it aside and have a garage sale. It’s a great way to make a little extra cash, plus get rid of items that are just taking up space. Whatever you don’t sell you can donate!
6. Repurpose items for storage: Rather than spending hundreds of dollars on organizers to keep your house organized repurpose something you already have around the house. Did you know you can make magazine holders from cereal boxes? They look spectacular! You can also make magazine holders from repurposed items too! Eliminate those piles of unruly magazines and don’t break the bank doing it!
7. Reusable Rags are the way to go: Rather than spending tons of money on paper towels, grab some reusable rags! These save trees and save you cash, because once they are dirty you can just wash them! Washing windows? Use newspaper! It gets your windows streak free and the papers free if you have it lying around your house.
8. Get Organized: If you have tons of clutter all around, it’s hard to see your progress. Grab containers and organize things such as your seasonal items and decoration!
9. Hit Goodwill: In need of something to meet your storage and cleaning needs? Make sure to hit up Goodwill or other thrift stores before buying something new. You save things from landfills, and might save a buck or two!
10. Stay on Top of It: Now that you spent all that time spring cleaning, make sure to stay on top of it! Don’t fall back into old habits that got your house looking like a war zone to begin with!
Now that you have all the tips, make sure to print this green spring cleaning checklist printable to make sure your house is clean from top to bottom!
Get more House Cleaning Hacks here!