Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing is something that just sounds complicated, but it is actually really easy to do and tastes amazing when you make it with fresh herbs. When I was learning how to make this type of dressing I was actually horrified that one of my favorite dressings of all time contained a certain ingredient.
One thing you may not know about me is that I HATE mayonnaise. I always have and I always will. I hate it so bad just the smell of it makes me sick. That’s why when I was developing this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe, I was horrified to learn that the base for my absolute favorite salad dressing in the world was mayo!
Trying to make my own twist on this classic recipe was interesting, because I was NOT going to taste test it if it tasted like Mayo. Luckily, my eldest daughter was on standby just in case I needed her to taste it before it actually tasted like ranch dressing.
This was my first time ever making this dressing, and I have to say that it turned out quite fantastically myself. My ratio of mayonnaise to sour cream is a little less than most but that’s because I wanted more of the tang of the sour cream and less of the mayo flavor (go figure right!)
Here it is. The Crunchy family’s new favorite homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe. I don’t think I will ever buy another bottle of ranch dressing again. It’s just too easy to make and tastes absolutely amazing with fresh herbs in it! Enjoy!Print
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
This amazing buttermilk ranch dressing will have you wondering why you ever bought it in a bottle
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Cuisine: Condiments
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 3 t chives
- fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk (or desired amount for the consistency you want)
- Chop the parsley and chives very finely and set aside.
- Finely dice the garlic. As you are dicing sprinkle with pinches of salt.
- In a bowl, place the sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Add the garlic and herbs.
- Crack some fresh pepper and add a pinch of salt.
- Blend the ingredients until completely mixed.
- Adding a little bit at a time, mix in buttermilk until you achieved the desired consistency.
- Store in a bottle or closed container.
Like this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe? Then make sure to check out the Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich!