This is a sponsored post. I received LISTERINE® Brand products from Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. and Socialstars as part of my participation in this project. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own.
For some reason every time there is a meme on Facebook about someone not functioning without coffee in the morning my friends and family feel the need to tag me in it. (I totally don’t get it) Maybe it’s because I have my kids trained not to speak before they hand me that piping hot deliciousness or they might not survive. Who knows?
As much as I am addicted to my coffee, I am NOT addicted to the coffee breath that comes with it. Somehow coffee breath really puts a damper on my perfect cup of coffee. Lucky for you, I have a little trick up myself to teach you how to make the perfect cup of coffee AND not have a side order of coffee breath when you are on your way out the door in the morning. (No need to sacrifice your gum health or breath because you love your cup of joe, am I right?!)
Something I am sure every coffee addict can relate to is that great mouth brushing dilemma. Do you brush your teeth when you first get up in the morning, and THEN drink your coffee or do you drink your coffee and THEN brush your teeth!
Then there are those mornings that you are running late, or just enjoy your cup of java in the car, and then you are really headed toward greeting your boss with coffee breath in the morning. Normally I am not a gal to let stuff like that bother me, but one, it’s a crime to ruin the flavor of a good cup of coffee and toothpaste and coffee just do NOT mix. On top of that even I get bothered by the idea of making a bad first impression with my breath. You don’t want to be THAT girl where flowers seem to die when you open your mouth to talk (and you know this gal LOVES to talk)
Never fear. I’ve got the solution that let’s you make that perfect cup of coffee and keep your fresh breath too (and your confidence of course) First, things first; that perfect cup of coffee
Everything you Need for the Perfect Cup of Coffee
Bet you didn’t know in a past life I used to be a barista, before being a barista was cool. That means in addition to being a coffee addict, I know how to make a mean cup of java (aka look into my eyes; my coffee tips are gospel) The first step to the perfect cup of coffee is having the right tools:
1. Electric Water Kettle: A good electric water kettle makes all the difference! I prefer a model that is stainless steel. It doesn’t matter if you use a french press or a ceramic drip like I prefer to use, it’s perfect for one cup of coffee or several!
2. Ceramic Coffee Drip Filter: I have to thank my brother in law for my love of ceramic coffee drip filters like this. When I visiting in Seattle, my sister made me one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had. She explained that my brother in law is quite a coffee snob and loves having his grounds fresh and his water hot through a ceramic coffee drip filter. Well, after one cup I was convinced, and since have made all of my cups of coffee at home this way!
3. Coffee Bean Grinder: The oils that are in coffee beans are really important to make the perfect cup of coffee. Sadly, when you buy already ground coffee a lot of those oils have dried up, and the coffee isn’t as “fresh”. The best way to prevent this is to buy a good quality coffee bean grinder. For drip coffee, you want to make sure that the grounds are pretty fine when you grind them that the water can spend as much time as possible contacting the fresh coffee before it goes into your cup!
4. Don’t Forget the Coffee Filters: The ceramic drip coffee filter is great, but you still need a coffee filter in that bad boy. Otherwise you will get a cup filled with coffee grounds, and who has time for that? That ceramic drip coffee filter takes #2 sized coffee filters. Personally, I prefer the unbleached coffee filters for my coffee.
5. A Kick Butt Mug: Coffee is so much more than just getting up and going in the morning. It’s also about expressing yourself. Whether you are a drink it black kinda gal or a “I like coffee with my cream and sugar” you need an awesome mug that express who you are! My favorite mug right now is my Sadness Mug from Inside Out. It’s fun and quirky like me!
Now that you know how to make that perfect cup of coffee, let’s talk woman to woman. There’s nothing worse that enjoying that amazing cup of coffee and meeting someone for the first time and you notice that they turn a little green when you start to show them your amazing smile. It doesn’t matter if it’s a boss or your first date, you don’t want to have that cup of coffee linger on your breath all day long taking victims as you walk by. That’s just not how quirky girls roll.
Because I love you guys so, I am going to share my super secret weapon. Are you ready? It’s LISTERINE® pocket pakcs. Seriously. I’ve been in love with their little green pocket packs ever since they came out. I’m awful about running out the door and forgeting to brush my teeth thanks to not wanting to ruin my favorite coffee or ADD kicks in, and there is nothing worse than rushing out the door in the morning to realize that you may not have the freshest breath. It makes even the most awesome gal self conscious. It’s like you can smell yourself at times, or you worry about it.
Rather than having people start to nose dive for their offices, or not so subtly cover their mouths when you come by, just pop some of these bad boys in your purse and you will be all set. It’s so much easier than carrying a random toothbrush and toothpaste with you. Plus, you don’t have to find a bathroom to take care of coffee breath, you just pop one on your tongue and coffee breath quickly melts away! They aren’t just magic because I say so, according to LISTERINE® these little melt away strips kill 99% of bacteria in your mouth and leaves you with a clean mouth feeling.
As a blogger, there are already stereotypes that I have to combat. For some reason when people hear “blogger”, they still think an overweight white guy that lives in his mom’s basement that has no idea what a bar of soap looks like. Sure, some days it’s all pajamas and no showers, but that’s not the first thing that I want people to think when they MEET me. Because so much of my life is virtual, I have to make sure that my personal hygiene is not the first thing that people notice about me. My job takes me all across the country, and I can meet anyone from celebrities like George Clooney to top brand executives, so it’s really important that my breath isn’t the first thing they notice!
I’m all about being confident no matter what you are wearing. You should feel awesome in your skin no matter if you look like you just rolled out of bed or if you are dressed to walk the red carpet, where I draw the line is personal hygiene. It’s really important to take care of that gorgeous smile you flash at everyone and give a great first impression. Confidence is sexy, but coffee breath is definitely a buzz kill.
Plus, did you know that more than 7 in 10 Americans believe having an unhealthy mouth can negatively impact one’s confidence giving a speech (75%), and more than 6 in 10 believe it can affect a person’s willingness to speak in a meeting (64%) and their ability to lead a meeting (61%). It’s something a lot of us are thinking about. As if we weren’t already self conscious, did you know nearly half of American adults over the age of 30 suffer from gum disease (47.2%). In adults 65 and over, prevalence rates increase to 70%. Yikes! That’s why I try to make sure to use a great mouthwash everyday as well. No falling out teeth for this coffee nut.
You only get one set of teeth, and one chance to make a good first impression. Make sure to check out LISTERINE® regular products, and how they can help you with both! Mouth health is so important whether you are addicted to coffee or not!
- Brushing your teeth alone misses 75% of your mouth, leaving millions of germs behind. Left untreated, these germs can lead to oral care issues such as plaque and gingivitis.
- LISTERINE® Antiseptic cleans virtually 100% of your mouth to achieve up to five times healthier gums in two weeks and up to nine times healthier gums in four weeks.
- Additionally, LISTERINE® Antiseptic provides 21% greater gingivitis reduction and 52% more plaque reduction than merely brushing and flossing alone.
To find out more about LISTERINE® brand products, visit . You also check out them here too: Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/listerine
All data referenced in this post was provided by the LISTERINE® Brand Survey. To learn more, please go to www.listerine.com/health-mouth-vs-unhealthy-mouth.com