This post brought to you by Purina. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Quirky Inspired.
In my opinion, having a pet is as American as apple pie and the 4th of July! Even the description of the American dream, you know, with the white picket fence and 2.5 kids, included a pet. I grew up around animals and our dogs were our best friends. They are great listeners, never divulge your secrets and love you unconditionally.
When I looked back on my childhood and how important our dogs were to us, it made me think of owning pets on a different level. I realized the benefits of having a pet far surpassed those drool filled kisses and playing catch in the backyard. Here are just a few of the benefits I found you can receive when you have a pet when you are a kid:
- Emotional: My kids were bullied in school and it hurt my heart. The one thing that could make them feel better was to come home and get jumped on and licked by their furry friends. I equate it with your kids giving you a big hug at the end of a stressful day. It somehow has magical powers and makes the bad stuff melt away. Dogs love you no matter who you are, what you look like or how much money you have. This is a great way for kids to learn about self confidence and self esteem.
- Physical: It is important to stay physically active, but I do not always feel up to it. When you have a dog, you cannot just tell them you don’t feel like taking them out! You have to get up and get moving! This is especially helpful if you have a gamer at home who doesn’t want to take their eyes off the screen!
- Educational: Did you know if your child reads to their pet, they can build their reading skills? Reading aloud can help your child build their vocabulary and increases brain function. Down the road, reading aloud can help your child build confidence for those times they may be asked to speak in public.
That’s why we love having so many Purina products available at Dollar General too! Whether it’s Puppy Chow for your puppy, Beggin Strips to give your fur baby a treat, or even Cat food for the other fur baby in your life, Dollar General has a wide variety of Purina products to choose from.
Having a healthy and well rounded kid is what all parents want. If you have pets, you have the same goals for your furry children. During the month of April,Dollar General is partnering with Purina to help spread awareness about the importance of literacy in kids.
With studies showing when children read to pets, they do in fact raise their reading skills as well as their self confidence levels. From now through the end of April, Dollar General shoppers can “Do More With Their Dollar” and save on Purina pet products. Purina has created four digital Dollar General coupons which are available from 4/5/2015 through 4/30/2015. For each coupon a Dollar General shopper redeems, Purina will donate $1 to the Dollar General Literacy foundation up to $20,000.
I love that the Dollar General Literacy Foundation awards grants to nonprofit organizations and schools , helping people learn to read, prepare for the high school equivalency test, or learn the English language. The proceeds from this promotion will go towards funding these grants. You can:
- Save $1.00 on one (1) 12 lb bag of Purina® Friskies® Dry Cat Food
- Buy ANY five (5) 5.5oz cans of Purina® Friskies® Wet Cat Food and get one (1) can FREE (up to 50¢)
- Save $1.00 on one (1) 14lb or larger bag of Purina® Alpo® Dry Dog Food
- Save $1.00 on ANY one (1) package of Purina® Tidy Cats® Scoopable Litter
Do you have a pet your kids can read to? If so, what is their name and what breed are they?