Just because you are traveling for business doesn’t mean you have to be stressed and uncomfortable. Finding frugal ways to pamper yourself when you travel is just as important as making sure you packed your toothbrush and brought clean clothes.
When we travel for pleasure, women generally find time to build in pampering time, but for some reason when we travel for business we don’t seem to remember that it’s still important to take care of yourself even if it’s a business trip. If anything, it’s more important because we have to be at our best to make the best first impression and get the job done right! If you are burnt out, overtired, or just uninspired that surely will show in your work.
Every year business for the blog takes me across the country at least four or five times a year. Heck, in three days, I’m flying out to Los Angeles again for the Alice Through the Looking Glass red carpet premiere. From the outside, it may sound like fun and games, but it’s a lot of hard work too. We leave the hotel at 8 am and sometimes don’t get back in until after midnight. All the while we are supposed to be tweeting, updating Facebook, and staying awake enough to see everything that is going on! It’s exciting, but can be downright exhausting if I haven’t found some small moments to recharge myself.
Sure, four or five times a year is not an extreme amount of traveling, but it’s still enough that I need to make sure to take care of myself so I can hit the road running once I get back home. My business, nor my kids, stop just because I’ve been gone on a business trip.
When you travel for business, these are some of my favorite frugal ways to pamper yourself when you travel. They not only save time, money, and energy, they make sure that you are recharged enough every day to get the most out of your business trip. These are tried and true ways that I make sure I have some much needed me time on my business trips, plus they also double as ways that I keep my energy up so I can tackle any business need that comes my way when I hit the road!
9 Frugal Ways to Pamper Yourself When You Travel
1. Bring Your Favorite Bath Products: Every time that I travel for business, there is nothing that I look forward to more than soaking in a nice hot bath at the end of the day. That’s why when you travel for business, make sure to bring your favorite bath products. I always make sure to check my epsom salts and lavender essential oils to help me unwind at the end of the day.
2. Unplug: This frugal way to pamper yourself costs you absolutely nothing. We are all so wired into everything, our phones, our televisions, and our computers. When you travel, make sure you take some time to unplug. Grab a book, hit your balcony, or lounge by the pool to unwind. Disconnect from everything, and make sure you use this downtime to take care of you.
3. Use the concierge service or front desk: Need to book a rental car, or check what restaurants are in the area. Using the concierge is free, and it means you can spend more time on important things.
4. Pack comfy pajamas: Nothing makes you feel more pampered like a comfy pair of pajamas, or a nice pair of fuzzy slippers. If there is one thing that always goes in my travel bag, it’s my favorite pair of pajamas. It really helps me unwind after a long day’s work.
5. Treat Yourself to a Glass of Wine: Not a great idea to pack a bottle of wine with you, but Hilton Garden Inn has you covered. They have a cocktail hour at most locations where you can have a glass or wine or a light cocktail to ease into your night. You can relax and even mingle with other business travelers!
6. Indulge your sweet tooth (or salty): Imagine this. You sitting in a comfy chair, with your fuzzy robe and comfy pajamas, reading your favorite book. Grab your favorite sweet or salty snack, throw on some music or dive into that book to unwind after a long day at the office.
7. Bring Your Swimsuit: Most people don’t have pools at their homes, so it’s an extra little treat to take advantage of the hotel’s pool and/or hot tub. You can unwind, relax, after a long day’s work.
8. Meditate: Meditation is free. All you need is to plot out five or ten minutes to let yourself clear your mind. One of my favorite apps to help me do this is Headspace. Another one of my favorites is called Buddhify. They are both really frugal ways to pamper yourself when you travel. I love them because they don’t take up any physical space, and both cost less than my monthly coffee habit. You can even meditate while you are traveling between the airport and the hotel or when you are catching a cab to work.
9. Play Tourist: In many cities, you can reach out to the Visitor’s Bureau or the Chamber of Commerce to see if they have any businesses that offer complimentary passes for visitors. Even if you can’t find free passes, sometimes if you reach out to the venue yourself you can let them know you are a traveling business woman and are interested in visiting with them. Sometimes they give discounts or complimentary passes for a review or mention to your fellow co-workers whom travel as well.
That’s it! All my handy dandy bright ideas to get you refreshed and on your A game when you travel for business. Trust me, you can ignore these tips and spend your travels tired and burnt out or you can take the option behind door number two and recharge yourself so you are ready to conquer the world!
It’s just as important to pamper yourself when you are traveling for business as it is when you are on vacation. Make yourself a priority and use these frugal ways to pamper yourself when you travel.
What are some of your frugal ways to pamper yourself when you travel?