My family has always loved stuffing. It’s something that we hardly ever have leftovers of. That’s why I love how easy this homemade stuffing recipe is, and the fact that it makes enough for up to six or seven people. (or a family of five that really loves stuffing)
Homemade Stuffing Recipes
It takes a little bit of prep work or this tasty dish, but trust me that little extra effort is worth every bite. Plus how hard is it to cut up bread and leave it out overnight. (Heck, my kids leave bread out all the time. So it must be pretty easy) This is even a fun dish to get the kids involved in the Thanksgiving cooking.Print
Easy Homemade Stuffing
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Turkey Neck and 4 Cups Water (or 2 cups Chicken Stock)
- 1/4 Medium Onion (Diced)
- 3 Stalks Cribs Celery (1/4 inch pieces)
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 2 t Ground Sage
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 t Rosemary
- 1/2 t Marjoram
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes and allow for it to set out overnight and become stale.
- In a pot, place turkey neck and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn it on low and allow to cook for 1 hour. Remove the neck and strain.
- Add butter to turkey stock, and allow to cool.
- Place the bread in a large bowl, and mix in the onions and celery.
- Add the onions and celery, and mix with the bread.
- Adding a little bit at a time, pour the turkey stock over the dressing tossing and coating (you do not want the bread to be drenched, just damp)
- In a separate bowl, mix the spices.
- Coat the dressing with the spices, and mix thoroughly to coat all the dressing.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
It’s really that simple. It’s very similar to making your own croutons. The best part about making the stuffing from scratch is that you know exactly what is in what you are cooking, and you can make the recipe your own! You can throw extra sage, garlic, or if you are really crazy mushrooms in this great recipe. Trust me, if you serve this at your Thanksgiving dinner your family is going to be begging you for the recipe. It’s THAT good!